T00174 Senior NAV Developer/Architect - Flexible
As a Senior Developer you will lead a small team of developers extending Microsoft NAV platforms. Your role is to play an active part in the creation of high-quality software products to meet customer and commercial needs, in accordance with defined standards, best practice and agreed deadlines.
Alongside developing high-quality code yourself, your role is to mentor your team (leading by example), take responsibility for the timely delivery of projects and to contribute to the ongoing evolution of the technology strategy and processes.
This role may involve some Customer facing work on site to install and configure the software.
This job description is not fully comprehensive of all duties and responsibilities, therefore, there may be an expectation from the business for an employee to perform additional duties or responsibilities not listed in the above. This also may mean the business can amend the job description from time to time.
Duties and Responsibilities
Develop High Quality Solutions:
- Lead the production of software and ensure quality standards are maintained within your team.
- Contribute to the enhancement of departmental systems and practices.
- Ensure peer review of code and high-test coverage are features of your teams’ best practice.
- Ensure appropriate skill gaps and training needs are addressed promptly.
- Actively drive continuous improvement in the team, company's products and processes.
- Investigate appropriate solutions to customer requirements and prepare detailed specifications for review by customers.
- Provide estimates of development activities for project quotations.
- Ensure full understanding of project requirements, deadlines and priorities via liaison with project team members and use of project schedules.
- To carry out the installation and configuration of Microsoft Dynamics NAV products on the customers’ servers and workstation computers.
- Maintain good working relationships with all members of staff and customers.
- Travel and potential overnight stays may be required to fulfil the customers’ needs and the role.
- To carry out other project work and support duties as required.
Mentoring and Leadership:
- Mentor other team members to identify their development needs.
- Act as a customer champion in relation to your products.
- Escalate issues with projects and staff should the need arise.
- Ensure appropriate recording and reporting of key project information and ensure that ongoing progress and issues are managed openly.
- Actively increase levels of skills and knowledge of your team and yourself.
- Provide and receive quality feedback to/from other team members to aid personal development.
- Contribute to the research and adoption of relevant new technologies and techniques, by actively remaining up-to-date with current trends.
- Carry out formal one-to-one sessions with all direct reports in accordance with departmental requirements. Ensure you meet at least monthly with your own manager.
- In association with the Operations Manager, manage the development of your own career path and personal development plan.
Collaboration and Relationships:
- To work with other Senior Applications Consultants in driving success through the entire organisation.
- To work with regional RMD’s / ADAMs regarding customer issues
- Work with Support Team Leaders to ensure sufficient quantity and quality of post project documentation is received and reviewed to achieve best possible customer experience
- Work with the Group Applications Director to liaise with Microsoft and develop key contact relationships
- With team members to co-ordinate tasks, provide assistance and ensure timely delivery.
- With the Operations Managers and Senior Consultants to agree priorities, provide estimates, report progress and identify risks/impediments and mitigations
- With other Consultants and Developers to ensure the delivered products meet the business need
- With other Consultants and Developers to maintain and share knowledge
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Either a proven aptitude for software development or a degree in computer science (or another numerate discipline)
- Microsoft Dynamics NAV Accreditation a distinct advantage.
Your skills & knowledge
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic and RTC / NAV2015 onwards
- Knowledge or specialism in one additional to NAV, eg Manufacturing, Retail, Fashion/Furniture, etc.
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Expert with relevant design principles and best practice
- Expert with tools that automate or assist the development process
- Expert software design, database and development skills
- Expert in troubleshooting complex software issues including in unfamiliar code
- Leadership, communication, presentation and knowledge sharing skills
- Able to refocus work in response to changing priorities.
- Able to solve complex problems and suggest solutions under tight timescales.
- Significant experience in designing and implementing complex software in a professional development organisation
- Significant relevant experience with an industry-recognised software development lifecycle process
- Demonstrable experience of a broad range of successful software developments
- At least 5 years working with Microsoft NAV
- Demonstrates enthusiasm and proactively seeks opportunities to improve the NAV Silo for TSG
- Demonstrates commitment to the role, team and company, and will go the extra mile when required
- Demonstrates creativity and reacts positively to new challenges and change